Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Day at the Zoo - Delving into Politics
We had a fun morning at the zoo. The kids love the zoo and we enjoy seeing the animals. However, for the past 8 years (since I first visited the Oregon Zoo), a certain sign has been irking me. I finally remembered my camera today, so now you can see some "false beliefs" in action. If you can't read the sign in the picture, the text says: "FALSE BELIEF Many people thought that wolves threatened humans, livestock and the availability of wild game." This sign is propagating the false belief that wolves DON'T threaten people and domestic and wild animals. If you want proof to the contrary, it's easy to search the internet and find countless examples of the havoc wolves are wreaking on wild herd populations and on domestic herd populations. As far as wolves "threatening" humans, that's easy to document, as well. In Nov. 2005, a healthy young man was killed by wolves in northern Saskatchewan. I'll try to get off my soapbox soon, but if you want more info (and have a strong stomach), check out http://www.mtmultipleuse.org/endangered/wolf_pics.htm. I guess you could say I am opposed to wolf reintroductions. :-)

No comments: