Friday, June 15, 2007

Aric's Latest Injury

I can't believe I forgot to mention this in the last post. Aric fractured his arm about two weeks ago. It was nearing bedtime (always the time for accidents at our house) and he was carrying a load of toys when he tripped over another toy and fell down. By the way he was crying, I knew he was really hurting. I told Jeremy I thought his arm was broken. We waited for the tears to subside, then examined his arm. He could move everything, his wrist and fingers seemed fully functional, and we could squeeze his arm anywhere without it hurting. We guessed he'd just twisted or strained something and decided to wait and see how he did the next day. The next morning, he fell again and complained about the same spot. We set up a doctor's appointment for the afternoon, but when he woke up from his nap, he seemed totally fine again. Since it was a very busy day at the doctor's office, I decided to let someone else have our coveted appointment. We watched him over the weekend and he seemed fine, but Monday morning we were playing at a friend's house when he fell onto the sidewalk. Again, he caught himself with his arms, and again, that left forearm seemed to be really hurting him. After a few days without complaint, I had begun to think he was probably alright, but since he was complaining about precisely the same spot again, I knew we needed to go see the doctor.

The doctor examined the arm thoroughly, twisting and squeezing and moving it in all sorts of directions. All Aric did was giggle shyly. The doctor said he really didn't think anything was wrong, but if I wanted to have an x-ray done, I could. I knew we needed to know, one way or the other, or I'd be back in the office in another day or two. He went to the x-ray room, where he was SO brave he earned a bouncy-ball for himself and another one for big brother. The doctor came back seeming rather surprised. He said, "Aric must have a really high pain tolerance, because he does have a fracture." I already know that my boys have incredible pain tolerances (I think in large part due to heredity - thanks, Dad! :-), so I wasn't surprised at all. Now he has to wear a removable splint until the Fourth of July (his personal Independence Day). He doesn't really like it, but tolerates it fairly well.

He thought he'd come up with a great idea recently. After a bath (the only time he's allowed to be out of his splint), he raised his uninjured arm and brightly announced, "I have a good idea, Mom. Let's put it on THIS arm." I know he's tired of it, but thankfully it is his left arm rather than his right, and he's keeping it on much better than I would have expected.

No comments: